The countdown to Christmas is on and if you have any sewists on your list, I’ve got a list for you! I’ve been wanting to put together a shopping guide with my favorite sewing notions for a while. I asked the members of the Chalk and Notch Patterns group for their recommendations and I was flooded with awesome responses. So consider this a collaborative list – 15 stocking stuffers that your sewist friend will love, recommendations by your sewist friends!
I don’t own a ton of sewing notions, but I like to have a curated supply of high-quality tools. Many of these I use, and some will be on my list, too. For some added cheer, I will be giving away these items each day from December 11th thru December 22nd in the Chalk and Notch Patterns group. So come join the group for your chance to win!
*Links are not affiliate links, just a shopping reference*
1. Organ Needles – This set comes with 50 sewing machine needles in sizes 9, 11, 14, 16, 18. They are universal sewing needles and work on a variety of machines. It’s so nice to have them on hand and they should last a while.
2. Wonder Clips – I don’t use Wonder Clips, but this was the number one requested item when I asked my group. Sewists are crazy for Wonder Clips.
3. Magnetic Pin Dish – I have two magnetic pin dishes, but I love how simple this dish is. I plan to put this on my list.
4. Flower Head Pins – I have been searching for the perfect pin and, I have been wanting to try these. Adrianna of Hey June recommended them, so I’m sure they are amazing!
5. Buttonhole Cutter Set – I think this is a great tool to help avoid any slips of your seam ripper or scissors when opening your buttonholes.
6. Small Rotary Cutter – Most sewists swear by rotary cutters. I’m old-fashion and still use scissors for my cutting, but this was another item that was heavily requested. This smaller size would be great for getting around small pieces.
7. Brass Seam Ripper – I own this seam ripper and I love it. It’s super sharp and beautiful, a must-have tool for sewists.
8. Gingher Stork Scissors – I own these scissors and they are my favorite item to gift. I keep them near my sewing machine at all times to clip threads.
9. Clover Chaco Pen – I haven’t used this specific marking pen, but I’ve heard good things about it and it was a recommended by the lovely Thao of Little Cumquat.
10. Measuring Gauge – I thought this would be handy to reference while hemming and pressing.
11. Bamboo Point Turner – This is a super useful tool to get those points nice and sharp. Emi of Just Add Fabric recommended it as one of her favorite tools.
12. Wonder Tape – When pins aren’t enough, this tape can hold pieces in place while sewing or topstitching. I watched Emily of Enjoyful Makes get perfect seam matching when making her Geodesic Sweatshirt – so I know this stuff works!
I’m not sure these next three items qualify as stocking stuffers. They are a little more expensive and don’t really fit into a stocking, but they are still a great gift option.
13. Vacuum – My sewing studio is also my bedroom so I try to keep it clean. I think this would be super helpful to not only keep my sewing space clean but to keep my machines clean, too.
14. Wireless Headphones – I love to listen to podcasts while I’m sewing but often I miss parts over the noise of my machines. These would be perfect to keep out the noise and keep me in the zone.
15. Mini Iron – This would be a great iron to use for applying fusible, quick touch-ups or for travel sewing.
So there you have it – 15 stocking stuffers (maybe some bigger gifts too) that would be perfect for the sewist in your life! I hope you find this list helpful and maybe you can forward this to a loved one so you receive just what you were hoping for in your stocking.